CLT Expects Big Crowds This Week for Spring Break Travel
Passengers Encouraged to Plan Ahead, Be Prepared and Arrive Early
March 26, 2018– Charlotte Douglas International Airport is expecting large crowds beginning Thursday due to spring break travel. Passengers are encouraged to plan ahead, be prepared and arrive early.
For the past two years, the Thursday and Friday prior to Easter, Charlotte Douglas has experienced record breaking originating passenger numbers.
TSA's forecast throughout this week shows originating passengers numbers (travelers who begin and end their trip at CLT) will peak Thursday, March 29 with 32,560 passengers and Friday, March 30 with 34,240 spring break travelers. On a normal day CLT averages approximately 25,000 originating passengers and 100,000 connecting passengers.
|TSA's Originating Passenger Forecast |
| || |
|Monday, March 26, 2018||26,270|
|Tuesday, March 27, 2018||21,320|
|Wednesday, March 28, 2018||25,810|
|Thursday, March 29, 2018||32,560|
|Friday, March 30, 2018||34,240|
|Saturday, March 31, 2018||25,600|
CLT will have plenty of parking to accommodate drivers. Long Term Lots will fill first. Visit parking.charlotteairport.com to view CLT's real-time parking map.
Be sure to follow CLT's Twitter feed (@CLTAirport) for the most up-to-date parking tips and visit cltairport.com/news for the latest Airport news.
Checkpoints Opening Earlier
TSA security checkpoints A, B, C and D will open at 3:30 a.m. on Friday, March 30 and Saturday, March 31. Please note: Checkpoint B is for PreCheck only.
Passengers Should Be Aware:
• CLT's free Cell Phone Lot is located adjacent to Long Term Lot 1. Drivers may enter the lot directly off Josh Birmingham Parkway. The 150-space lot has one center aisle for easy entry and exit. View the video for more information.
• Inside, terminal renovations are underway on Concourse B as part of Destination CLT, the Airport's $2.5 billion capital improvement program. During renovations, Airport operations will not be interrupted. Passengers, however, will see open ceilings and bare concrete flooring in some areas.
Use the Hourly Deck for Picking Up and Dropping Off Passengers
• Drivers are encouraged to use the Hourly Deck for picking up and dropping off passengers. It is free for the first hour and within walking distance to the terminal. Overhead dynamic signage and digital signage will prompt customers to use the Hourly Deck for quick drop off/pickup.
Reminder About Curbside
• Curbside is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers. Curbside parking is not allowed, regardless of whether the vehicle is attended or not. Please remember vehicles left unattended may be towed, while vehicles parked and waiting may be subject to citations. This includes all lanes on the Departures/Ticketing and Arrivals/Baggage Claim levels.
Take Advantage of CLT's Amenities
• Passengers are encouraged to take advantage of CLT's various amenities. The Airport has more than 100 concessions spread throughout its five concourses. Indoor Animal Relief Areas are located on the A/B Connector and Concourse D. CLT also offers free WiFi. Select the network "CLT Free WiFi" to be connected. For traveling moms, a Mother's Room is located on the upper level of the Atrium and provides a dedicated area for mothers who wish for more privacy to nurse their baby or pump breast milk away from the intrusion of the public.
To accommodate travel demands, CLT is:
• Using overhead dynamic signage and digital signage to prompt customers to use the Hourly Deck for quick drop off/pickup.
• Stationing traffic officers in front of the terminal and along other roadway locations as needed to assist with traffic flow, as well as positioning additional Aviation Department, TSA and airline staff in the lobby to assist customers.
• Adding more resources to Airport shuttle bus and parking operations.
Passengers may plan their trip to the Airport by:
• Arriving early to CLT.
• Visiting parking.charlotteairport.com and viewing CLT's real-time parking map.
• Calling 704.359.5555 to hear the latest parking conditions.
• Slowing down and adhering to the signs when approaching the terminal.
• Paying attention to and following CLT's dynamic roadway signs strategically located around Charlotte Douglas for information on which lots are open or full.
• Using the Pay&Go stations when leaving the terminal for a quicker exit. Four Pay&Go stations are located in the Hourly Deck and at the Daily deck's shuttle bus stop. Remember to keep your ticket with you. Upon your return trip home, place your parking ticket in a Pay&Go station and pay by credit card. A validated ticket will be returned. Drivers may then proceed to any lane in the designated lots and insert their validated ticket in the machine to exit.
Departing Passenger Tips:
• Passengers are advised to arrive early for their flights. When traveling with young children, infants, elderly or disabled passengers, allow for even more time. TSA advises arriving at least two hours before a domestic flight and three hours before an international flight.
• Checkpoint lines may be adjusted to accommodate the anticipated crowds. Pay close attention to signage directing you to the proper lines.
• Save time by printing boarding passes at home.
• Obtain specific information about Charlotte Douglas International Airport by visiting cltairport.com or by calling the Airport's automated phone information line at 704.359.4910.
• Contact your airline for updated flight information.
As a reminder, follow CLT's Twitter feed (@CLTAirport) for the most up-to-date parking tips, and visit parking.charlotteairport.com to view the real-time parking map. For the latest Airport news, link to cltairport.com/news.