Summer Travel Season Kicks Off This Week
CLT Expects Large Crowds
May 22, 2017 – Large crowds are expected again this Memorial Day weekend as Charlotte Douglas International Airport kicks off the summer travel season. Passengers are encouraged to plan ahead, utilize the Hourly Deck, which is free for the first hour, for picking up and dropping off passengers and to know CLT's parking options.
The Airport will add approximately 850 parking spaces to Long Term 2 by the end of June, with another 850 to be completed before Thanksgiving, giving CLT an additional 1700 parking spaces.
Parking will be at a premium during the duration of summer due to the Airport's increased originating passenger traffic. Travelers are encouraged to use alternate methods of transportation coming to and from the Airport, such as taxis, CATS Airport Sprinter and Connector, ridesharing or being dropped off by family or friends.
As a reminder, towing is strictly enforced for all illegally parked cars, including unattended vehicles on the curbside.
Airlines are predicting high passenger loads. Originating passenger numbers are projected to peak on Thursday, May 25.
|Date||TSA's Memorial Day Forecast For Passengers Screened|
|Monday, May 22, 2017||28,440|
|Tuesday, May 23, 2017||22,370|
|Wednesday, May 24, 2017||25,830|
|Thursday, May 25, 2017||29,960|
|Friday, May 26, 2017||29,610|
|Saturday, May 27, 2017||22,090|
|Sunday, May 28, 2017||18,480|
That is in addition to the more than 100,000 passengers who connect through CLT daily.
- Plan ahead.
- Follow the Airport on twitter @CLTAirport for the latest information.
- TSA advises arriving 2 hours prior to a domestic flight, 3 hours prior to an international flight.
- Check with your airline on the status of your flight before coming to the Airport.
- Check real-time parking conditions online before leaving for CLT or call 704.359.5555.
- Use the Hourly Deck for drop off and pick up. The first hour is free.
- Only immediate loading and unloading are permitted on the curbside. If your vehicle is left unattended, it will be ticketed and towed.
- Carpool or rideshare.
- Park in designated parking spaces or your vehicle will be towed.
Passengers are advised to:
- Plan your drop off and pick up.
- Arrive early and follow airline and TSA guidelines when packing. Security Tips
- Get dropped off at the Airport, carpool, ride CATS Airport Sprinter or Connector or use one of the many taxi and ground transportation companies serving the Airport.
- Check parking conditions before leaving for Charlotte Douglas by viewing the real-time parking map or calling 704.359.5555.
- Be alert, slow down, obey the speed limit and drive more cautiously on CLT roadways.
- Follow the directions on the variable message signs that have been strategically placed along roadways to help drivers navigate the change.
To save time before leaving for CLT, follow the Airport's SmartPark tips:
- Long Term economy parking is expected to go fast at CLT Airport this summer.
- Be sure to take a lot locator card from the SmartPark maps inside the parking lot bus shelters. This will help you locate your car upon return.
- Take advantage of the Airport's Pay&Go stations. Four Pay&Go stations are located in the Hourly Deck and at the Daily deck's shuttle bus stop and two more are located near the shuttle bus stops in front of the Arrivals/Baggage Claim level. To use, travelers place their parking ticket in a Pay&Go station and pay by credit card. A validated ticket will be returned. Drivers may then proceed to any lane in the designated lots and insert their validated ticket in the machine to exit.
- Use the credit card only or prepaid lanes to save time exiting the Airport's parking lots. Credit card only lanes are available in all lots.
- View current parking rates or call CDIAL, the Airport's automated phone information at 704.359.4910. To get up-to-date flight information, call 704.359.DATA (3282).
Be sure to follow CLT Airport on Twitter (@CLTAirport) for the latest summer parking and travel tips.