AIRPORT’S BUSY FOURTH OF JULY TRAVEL WEEK IS HERE
The Fourth of July holiday travel week is underway at Charlotte Douglas International Airport.
This summer’s travel period has already broken one passenger number. Last month, the Airport surpassed its originating passenger record (travelers who begin their trip at CLT) on June 21 when TSA processed 36,169 flyers through CLT security checkpoints. The previous record was 34,696 flyers on June 30, 2017 – the Friday prior to July 4.
Big crowds are expected once again on Wednesday, July 3 and Sunday, July 7 in Departures/Ticketing and at the security checkpoints with more than 31,000 travelers beginning their trip at CLT. On a normal July day, CLT averages 28,000 originating passengers and 100,000 connecting passengers.
As always, travelers are encouraged to plan ahead, utilize the Hourly Deck for picking up and dropping off passengers (first hour is free) and to know CLT’s parking options by visiting cltairport.com.
CLT will have plenty of parking to accommodate drivers. Long Term Lots will fill first. Visit parking.charlotteairport.com to view CLT’s real-time parking map or call 704.359.5555. Towing will be enforced for all illegally parked cars, including unattended vehicles on the curbside.
Travelers seeking Airport information at their fingertips should check out CLT’s redesigned website cltairport.com and the new CLT Airport app that make navigating the Airport easier than ever before. Within seconds, passengers can discover the status of their flight, choose the best parking option for them, locate their favorite restaurant and much more. The CLT Airport app is available for download at the App Store and on Googgle Play.
Passengers Should Be Aware
• CLT’s free Cell Phone Lot is located adjacent to Long Term Lot 1. Drivers may enter the lot directly off Josh Birmingham Parkway. The 150-space lot has one center aisle for easy entry and exit. View the video for more information.
• Inside, terminal renovations are progressing on Concourses A and C as part of Destination CLT, the Airport’s $2.5 - $3.1 billion capital improvement program. During renovations, Airport operations will not be interrupted. Passengers, however, will see open ceilings and bare concrete flooring in some areas.
• Concourse B renovations are complete, showcasing a modernized facility with updated passenger amenities. The $13.5 million transformation includes 950 seats with integrated power, new ceiling tiles, 3,400 square yards of carpet, new wall panels, fresh paint, 1,600 LED lights and improved wayfinding signage. Approximately 27,000 square feet of terrazzo flooring was also placed in the center walkway of the concourse to better accommodate rolling luggage.
Five New Lanes Open On Upper Level Roadway
• Five new upper lanes of the Elevated Roadway and Terminal Curb Front offer drivers a quicker entry to and exit from the terminal. Lower level roadway traffic remains the same. Four temporary pedestrian walkways provide the public access to and from the new roadway and terminal without impeding vehicular traffic.
• Use the Hourly Deck for Picking Up and Dropping Off Passengers
• Drivers are encouraged to use the Hourly Deck for picking up and dropping off passengers. It is free for the first hour and within walking distance to the terminal. Overhead dynamic signage and digital signage will prompt customers to use the Hourly Deck for quick drop off/pickup.
Take Advantage of CLT’s Amenities
For passengers with free time to spare, CLT provides various amenities they may take advantage of before their flight. The Airport has more than 100 concessions spread throughout its five concourses. Indoor Pet Relief Areas are located on Concourse A Expansion, the A/B Connector and Concourse D. CLT also offers free WiFi. Select the network “CLT Free WiFi” to be connected. For traveling moms, two Mother’s Rooms are located on the upper level of the Atrium and Concourse A Expansion. Both spaces provide a dedicated area for mothers who wish for more privacy.
Departing Passenger Tips:
• All security checkpoints are operated by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA).
• For security related information, questions or updates, please contact TSA at 1-866-289-9673; e-mail TSA-ContactCenter@dhs.gov or use @AskTSA on Twitter and Facebook.
• Passengers are advised to arrive early for their flights. When traveling with young children, infants, elderly or disabled passengers, allow for even more time. TSA advises arriving at least two hours before a domestic flight and three hours before an international flight.
• Checkpoint lines may be adjusted to accommodate the anticipated crowds. Pay close attention to signage directing you to the proper lines.
• All gates are accessible from any security checkpoint.
• Obtain specific information about Charlotte Douglas International Airport by visiting cltairport.com or by calling the Airport’s automated phone information line at 704.359.4910.
• Contact your airline for updated flight information.
Be sure to follow CLT’s Twitter feed @CLTAirport for the most up-to-date parking tips, and visit parking.charlotteairport.com to view the real-time parking map. For the latest Airport news, link to cltairport.com/news or sign-up to receive CLT's newsletters at cltairport.com/newsroom/newsletters.