Summer Travel Season Kicks Off This Week
Large crowds are expected this Memorial Day weekend as Charlotte Douglas International Airport kicks off the summer travel season.
Airlines for America, the industry trade organization for the leading U.S. airlines, is expecting a record 257.4 million passengers to travel on U.S. airlines between June 1 and Aug. 31, a 3.4 percent increase from last summer.
Passengers are encouraged to plan ahead and arrive early to the Airport. Originating passenger numbers are projected to peak today and tomorrow with more than 31,000 local travelers beginning their trip at Charlotte Douglas. CLT normally averages 25,000-26,000 originating passengers and 100,000 connecting passengers each day.
Travelers seeking Airport information at their fingertips should check out CLT’s redesigned website (cltairport.com) and new app that makes navigating the Airport easier than ever before. Within seconds, passengers can discover the status of their flight, choose a parking spot, locate their favorite restaurant and much more.
Special features on the mobile app include 48-hour flight tracking with real-time flight status updates, indoor navigation providing turn-by-turn directions, an interactive terminal map for locating concessions and a real-time parking map. Visit the Apple Store or Google Play Store to download the app.
The redesigned website is responsive on every electronic screen, regardless of size, creating an improved interface on phones and tablets. Visitors to the site will enjoy real-time flight details that mirror the Flight Information Display System (FIDS). The new feature lets passengers search their flight and see information such as flight status, gate location, flight number and even the weather in their destination city.
CLT will have plenty of parking to accommodate drivers. The two Long Term Lots will fill first. Visit parking.charlotteairport.com to view CLT’s real-time parking map. Towing is strictly enforced for all illegally parked cars, including unattended vehicles on the curbside.
Passengers Should Be Aware
- CLT’s free Cell Phone Lot is located adjacent to Long Term Lot 1. Drivers may enter the lot directly off Josh Birmingham Parkway. The 150-space lot has one center aisle for easy entry and exit. View the video for more information.
- Inside, terminal renovations are progressing on Concourses A and C as part of Destination CLT, the Airport’s $2.5 - $3.1 billion capital improvement program. During renovations, Airport operations will not be interrupted. Passengers, however, will see open ceilings and bare concrete flooring in some areas.
- Concourse B renovations are complete, unveiling a modernized facility with updated passenger amenities. The $13.5 million transformation includes 950 seats with integrated power, new ceiling tiles, 3,400 square yards of carpet, new wall panels, fresh coats of paint, 1,600 LED lights and improved wayfinding signage. Approximately 27,000 square feet of terrazzo flooring was also placed in the center walkway of the concourse to better accommodate rolling luggage.
Five New Lanes Open On Upper Level Roadway
- Five new upper lanes of the Elevated Roadway and Terminal Curb Front offer drivers a quicker entry to and exit from the terminal. Lower level roadway traffic remains the same. Four temporary pedestrian walkways provide the public access to and from the new roadway and terminal without impeding vehicular traffic.
Use the Hourly Deck for Picking Up and Dropping Off Passengers
- Drivers are encouraged to use the Hourly Deck for picking up and dropping off passengers. It is free for the first hour and within walking distance to the terminal. Overhead dynamic signage and digital signage will prompt customers to use the Hourly Deck for quick drop off/pickup.
Take Advantage of CLT’s Amenities
- For passengers with free time to spare, CLT provides various amenities they may take advantage of before their flight. The Airport has more than 100 concessions spread throughout its five concourses. Indoor Animal Relief Areas are located on Concourse A Expansion, the A/B Connector and Concourse D. CLT also offers free WiFi. Select the network “CLT Free WiFi” to be connected. For traveling moms, two Mother’s Rooms are located on the upper level of the Atrium and Concourse A Expansion. Both spaces provide a dedicated area for mothers who wish for more privacy.
Departing Passenger Tips:
- All security checkpoints are operated by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA).
- For security related information, questions or updates, please contact TSA at 1-866-289-9673; e-mail TSA-ContactCenter@dhs.gov or use @AskTSA on Twitter and Facebook.
- Passengers are advised to arrive early for their flights. When traveling with young children, infants, elderly or disabled passengers, allow for even more time. TSA advises arriving at least two hours before a domestic flight and three hours before an international flight.
- Checkpoint lines may be adjusted to accommodate the anticipated crowds. Pay close attention to signage directing you to the proper lines.
- All concourses are accessible from any security checkpoint.
- Obtain specific information about Charlotte Douglas International Airport by visiting cltairport.com or by calling the Airport’s automated phone information line at 704.359.4910.
- Contact your airline for updated flight information.