A permanent Airport Overlook is coming to Charlotte Douglas International Airport in 2024.
This location will be the fifth dedicated Overlook at CLT since 1937. The most recent location served the community since 1989 and closed Oct. 3, 2022 for construction of the North End-Around Taxiway and future fourth parallel runway.
A temporary area was installed at the corner of Old Dowd Road and Airport Overlook Drive and will remain in place until the new Overlook opens.
The new Overlook remains on Airport property just west of the previous location off Marshall Drive. It will maintain the spectacular airfield, skyline and terminal views enthusiasts have enjoyed for decades.
The permanent space was designed with the community’s wishes in mind and will showcase many new features including:
- Views of Runway 18C/36C and future fourth parallel runway
- Picnic tables and benches
- Paved parking for 145 vehicles
- LED lighting in parking lot and pedestrian areas
- Shaded areas featuring trees and sails
- Restrooms with baby changing stations
- Pet relief areas
- Bicycle rack
- Two age-specific playgrounds
- Expanded food truck staging area with 10 covered picnic tables
- Bus staging area
- Static aircraft display
- Exhibits featuring Carolinas aviation history
The new Overlook will also include a dedicated memorial for USAir Flight 1016.
Construction, pending approval from Charlotte City Council, is tentatively scheduled to begin late summer/early fall with a projected opening of late spring/early summer 2024.
As the project progresses and timelines adjust, costs and other construction-related items are possible. The information on this website is the more current approximation, however, changes are possible.
View More Airport Overlook Renderings